Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's Grandma's job to indulge, isn't it?

You asked, “It’s Grandma’s job to indulge, isn’t it?” I’m going to be honest with you here, there are two answers to your question: Yes and No! Actually, indulging your grandchildren is a wonderful and generous thing. They deserve as much time and attention as a Grandma wants to give, gifts not required! That said, Mom and Dad’s rules need to be respected along the way. My suggestion is an open conversation to agree on some limits, and then indulge away Grandma. By spoiling “within limits” you still get to indulge your grandchildren while fostering a healthy adult relationship with your own child. Remember, some of the best childhood memories are those of time spent with Grandparents. Make those memories amazing, "within limits"! A great article to take a look at: http://www.aarp.org/families/grandparents/family_relationships/a2004-09-21-grand-welcome.html.

Well, thanks for the question! I hope I helped. If there's anything else you want to know, Just Ask Mo!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Good answer Mo. Yes, grandparents need to go a bit overboard and indulge the grandbabies, but to remember rules set by mom and dad. However, grandparents need to remember when they were parents... Didn't they set more boundaries and limitations? Of course they did, and the reason they did that was for the health & well being of the child. It really should be no different for the grandkids! Good answer Mo, I look forward to more advice from you!

Anonymous said...

Surprise! I'll be thinking of a good guestion for you overnight...love Mom

Anonymous said...

Could not figure out where to ask the question...so I'll ask it here...How do I get tea stains out of my white shirt?-you'd think I was drinking something in my tea, I spill it so often...